Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP)
The Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) is a school to work program that opens the door for students to explore and work in apprenticeship occupations starting in Grade 11 or Grade 12 through the Cooperative Education program.
- like to learn by doing things in a ‘hands-on’ way?
- want to find out about challenging skill-based careers with great job prospects?
- want a head start on a great-paying job while you’re still in high school?
- want to work as an apprentice while you work towards your diploma?
If you do, then the Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP) could be for you!
Students will benefit from OYAP by:
- Having the opportunity to explore tentative career choices that could lead to a meaningful career
- Increasing their awareness of workplace demands/needs, including safety awareness and first aid skills
- Developing specialized and general transferable, employability skills
- Networking with potential employers and trainers
- Preparing a smoother school-to-work transition by getting started into the skilled trades at an earlier age